Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Typhoon Sinlaku!






Since my last post, I've had my first Typhoon experience. It was awakening to say the least. It started Friday and lasted through Monday (which meant a four day weekend). The typhoon was not to bad were I live. Mostly just a LOT of wind and rain. One morning me and my roommates enjoyed a walk through the ricefields behind our school during a lull in the storm. The most damage we had was simply clogged drains in the hallways (which made for some interesting walks around school. Our stairs turned into a small waterfall...)






Monday morning we really did have quite a fun time splashing through the puddles...





(Crazy Americans!)


The extra day off was a treat and we had fun. It wasn't until the next day that I began to realize the damage that the Typhoon had caused in other parts of Taiwan. My Wednesday driver gave me a newspaper (in English!) and nearly the entire back page was about the typhoon. About 10 people were killed and 10 missing. A big house actually tipped over and a bridge collapsed.


Thursday morning was the most enlightening for me. The drive to my two schools in the mountains is about an hour long and I saw a side of the typhoon I'd only heard about. There were many mudslides, a broken bridge, rock and debri on the road and even places where the road had been partially washed away by the river. Sad but true, typhoons can be very dangerous. Please pray for the people who lost loved ones.



On a happier note, Chinese class is tomorrow. We have been learning how to order drinks from the many drink stands that are all over Taiwan. It's better than Starbucks! (although I'm not a fan of starbucks but hey!) We're also beginning to learn how to write some Chinese characters. I love writing in Chinese, but it is hard. Please pray for us as we try to learn a very dificult language. Thank you all for your prayers! I'm SO thankful to know that there are people praying for me!

P.S. Yes, Sunday night is prayer meeting. : )

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Josie, I'm so glad y'all were okay!! Praying for you. :)
Baylie

Living Faith said...

Hey Josie...hope you can make it down on Friday to visit us in Ping Tung...sounds like you are having fun...glad you finally posted again! :D -Hannah

Anonymous said...

wow, josie how about putting ME on there again (i'm only on there twice) Jem (josie's sister)(lol)

Anonymous said...

Did you write those words on the blackboard? If you did, that's really good!! I know how hard writing Chinese is, cuz I've had to do it, and your perseverance really encourages me. Keep it up! Praying for you, Christina Jen (Xiaolan)

Josie said...

Sadly no, I didn't. Our Chinese teacher did...But I am learning how to write Chinese! It is difficult, but I really enjoy it. It's such a pretty way to write!